Saturday, October 4, 2014

The New Guy







For those of you keeping up with my blog, you are aware that I just finished my first full week at a new job. A little side note: I find it a little ironic that the week I begin working in the Information Technology industry is the week I manage to delete 75% of my blog post pictures. (In case you were wondering where they went.) At least it was a deletion error on my own time and website and not a mistake at work during my first week. It's only Saturday evening right now and I'm already excited to start the second week in this new position.
I really enjoy what many refer to as the "honeymoon period" at a new job. There's just the right mix of nerves and excitement to keep the first days and weeks flying by. The challenges and rewards are abundant with all the new faces, company culture, tasks, and processes you get to learn in the first week or two. You also get to deal with being the new guy in the crowd.
Having an entirely new group of people brings a number of challenges and opportunities. I'm one of those "great with faces, lousy with names" people so I find this part a bit challenging. It's not just learning names though. You also need to learn the different personalities, groups, and different responsibilities of each co-worker. Just learning who to go to for what reasons can be a challenge. The fun part is that you get to develop new relationships and learn from a new set of people with different skill sets. I have found everyone at my new job to be extremely friendly and helpful which is an excellent indicator of what company culture will be like.
Learning the new company culture can sometimes be a challenge. It's not always a what you see is what you get kind of thing. I've worked for companies in the past that talk a lot about what their culture is like and then immediately begin showing you that it's a complete farce. Fortunately, it's very hard to keep the real company culture hidden for long (if that's the case in the first place).
The new tasks and processes are what I really enjoy. I tend to get bored if I'm not continually challenged in my work. Getting to learn new things with a new company pushes that boredom to the back burner and amps up my excitement to learn new things. Right now, I have the excitement of working in an industry that I have never worked in before (IT) while having the comfort of a role I have had for many years (customer service). To me, that's a win-win situation that I'm happy to have.
Being the new guy in the crowd also has both challenges and opportunities. I'm used to being the guy that knows it all (hopefully without acting like a know it all), so being the new guy can be a challenge for me. I tend to be hard on myself and push myself hard to try and know everything NOW. The opportunity and reward from this is that I love to learn and live for personal development. There is no shortage of opportunities to learn something new when you're the new guy.
All in all, I am very excited about the possibilities I have in this new adventure. The company culture is proving to be everything it was claimed to be. (I did more than my due diligence before applying for this position) As I said earlier, everyone has been very friendly and helpful. Don't even get me started on the joy of being away from a retail schedule and getting to eat supper with my family every night and not have to work on the weekends. We will see how this new opportunity for me (and my family) continues to play out. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me on this in the future. Until next time......