Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Give Thanks








I have been back and forth this week trying to decide if I wanted to write a post about the things I am thankful for, but since I am currently writing one, I guess I made my decision. It’s not that I have any shortage of blessings in my life. It’s more because I didn’t want to be one of those people who write a post about being thankful merely because Thanksgiving is coming up this week. In the end, I guess I didn’t want my last post before Thanksgiving to be my last post where I talked about how everything I have seems to be breaking. (If you squint real hard and read between the lines on my last post, you will see that there were good things to be thankful for in all the things that needed to be fixed.)


I think the one that really jumped out in my last post was my friends. One of the many things I am very thankful for are my truly amazing friends. I have been blessed to have friends who possess a wide variety of talents. I have mechanic friends for vehicular issues. Computer geniuses to help with my stubborn insistence to continue using obsolete, out dated computer hardware. Fellow parents to compare notes on the joys and trials of being the parents of young children. The list could go on and on, but then I would feel bad if I listed all but a few...so I’ll stop there. The point is clear. I have great friends and I am truly thankful for all that they have done, and continue to do, for me and my family.


I am thankful for the new career I started a couple of months ago. Being able to eat supper with my wife and girls every night and spend every weekend at home with them was a huge win from the start. The fact that I love my job, work with amazing people, commute less than five minutes each way, and work in a booming industry, is all just icing on the cake. I haven’t actually seen any cake at work yet, but there has been plenty of candy....and bananas. You have to appreciate an employer that wants you to be healthy, but still provides some treats for when a little sugar rush is what you’re looking for.


My two little girls have taught me a lot over the past year. Yeah, they’ve taught me how much (or little) patience I have, but they’ve also taught me how to giggle like a kid again. I’m not sure how I went from teaching them to walk to listening to my five year old read a book to me in what seems like six months. Whether it’s something silly they say or their unique take on something they see, they never cease to amaze me and fill me with joy.


My wife probably deserves a post all to herself, but if I was going to do that, I might as well start an entirely new blog site because nobody wants to ready a single 50 page blog post. Once again, I will hit a few highlights and say that this is by no means an all inclusive list of the things I am thankful for when it comes to my wife. She’s an amazing wife to me and mother to our children. She seems to always be doing three things at once including three jobs: Mom, full-time school job, and part-time direct sales job. I’ve never run out of clean clothes or food. (Both pretty high on my list of importance.) She is also a great friend and listener. My life has been better since I met her and for that I am truly thankful.


My extended family is a great source of help, joy, friendship, and love that I am thankful for. I am blessed to have my family and my wife’s extended family (which I have always considered to be my family too). We may be spread out across the country, but we somehow always manage to stay in touch and even see each other fairly regularly....at least regularly considering the physical distance between many of us.


These are all wonderful things to be thankful for, but that has not been the primary focus in my family since the time I was a child through now with a family of my own. We have always been, and will continue to be, thankful to God for all the blessings we have. Those blessings include all of the people and things I’ve already listed above as they are gifts from God. The bigger thing that I am thankful for is Grace. By the grace of God I am saved and will have an even greater joy when all these earthly joys are gone. There is no amount of thanking that can make up for that, but it doesn’t mean I won’t continue to say thank you every day. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings once again. Until next time....