Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Happy New Year




I have two little girls that are quite excited for the new year. I'm not sure what makes this year any different than last year. It may just be the fact that they are getting a little bit older and a little bit more aware each year. I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that we tend to do a lot of countdown calendars in our house. We countdown to vacations, when family members are going to be visiting, birthdays, and most recently, we had a countdown to Christmas. We didn't do a countdown to New Year's because I didn't think it was a big issue for them and there's not a lot of time between Christmas and New Year's. A little conversation at supper tonight set me straight and showed me that they have more in mind.

It started with a simple question from my girls asking what we could do special for the start of the new year. I was glad to see that they wanted to somehow mark the start of what we hope will be another great year. I quickly realized it was merely a chance for cake. They even attempted to make a case that it's been a long time since we last had cake. (We've had cake and brownies in the house numerous times in the last few weeks because of various potlucks for work, school, and church.) They went on to explain that it was going to be a long time before they would have cake again if we didn't do something for New Year's. (One daughter's birthday is in a week and the other's is in February.) Although their argument wasn't supported with valid facts, it was a well thought out argument considering their audience. They know full well that once they put the thought of cake in their dad's head, we will have cake.

I have been guilty of using the same argument myself. At a previous employer, they use to bring in a cake for every employee's birthday. I noticed that we seemed to have a stretch from early October to late December when nobody had a birthday. As a joke, (ok - only partially joking and more seriously) I suggested that we start having cake on November 10th for the Marine Corps birthday. From then on, we had cake every year for the Marine Corps birthday. I'd like to think that it was my Marine Corps command voice that did the trick, but in reality, I think it was just because people like cake. It's a valuable (well, kind of) lesson that my two little girls have learned at an early age. The power of cake.

So, if something in your life just isn't going right in this new year, get a cake. There will still be the obvious reasons to have cake like birthdays, graduations, and anniversaries this year, but don't forget to celebrate some of the minor wins with cake. For instance:  You're hungry and it's easier to make a cake than enchiladas. You didn't lose your keys even once today. You're having a good hair day. (An easy one for me since I don't really have any hair.) Your socks actually match. It's a Tuesday. I could go on and on, and could probably even fabricate a plausible defense of any of those, but I will let you decide when to have cake this year. Have a wonderful new year and enjoy the cake! Until next time....