Saturday, December 20, 2014

Truly Terrifying






It's next to impossible to make it through the day without being bombarded with some news coverage regarding some form of terror. From shootings and rioting to ISIS and North Korean hackers. It doesn't help any that you have to wade through all the media bias to actually figure out what is really happening. I thought I'd put my thoughts out there as I read something last night that partially explains the terror as well as something we should find the most terrifying....but I'll get to that one last.
I'll start with the "traditional" form of terrorism. ISIS seems to be getting a lot of coverage and I'm sure they're loving it because it only adds fuel to the fire. (Not the reason I have flames in the post photo.) Unfortunately, I haven't been hearing enough regarding what we've always known to be true: Terrorism only works if you give into their tactics and/or run and hide at every action.


It all really started irritating me a few weeks ago when ISIS threatened the families of our men and women serving in the armed forces. Our own military even started issuing statements encouraging members of our military to scrub their social media accounts to protect them from possible identification and attack. I agree with maintaining operational security by not posting sensitive data, but is it too far to say to completely scrub your accounts of any mention of your service to our country? I would never hold it against anyone for doing that under the better safe than sorry principle, but I am glad to see most of my friends haven't. I know the first thing I did was change my Facebook profile picture and cover page to reflect my former service as a USMC Grunt. I am proud of my my prior service and I want to show support for those still serving.


More recently, we have all heard about the hack into Sony and the subsequent threat by the hackers of terroristic acts if they allow the movie "The Interview" to be shown at theaters. I am a little disappointed that the theaters chose not to screen the film and then Sony followed suit across the board. Like I said before though, I can't really hold it against them because it's not my business that would most certainly be held accountable if something happened during a screening. The sue happy society we live would certainly have a field day with that. I did get a little chuckle when Obama criticized Sony for pulling the movie because it's bad precedent to give into a dictator's terrorism. Something about our dictator in chief releasing more Gitmo terrorists while saying that with a straight face just blows my mind. I do have to say I agree with him this one time though. (I feel like I should wash my mouth out with soap now.) If we do cower to terrorists, where will it end? Release the movie on Netflix and the hackers will hack in to get the client data on all Netflix users and target them individually. Don't release the movie at all and they'll just find something else to threaten.


As I said at the start of this post, the truly terrifying thing I read last night is partially to blame for all this terror, but also more terrifying in itself. I don't recall the exact title of the post I read, but it was something along the lines of "religion is dying". It went to explain that atheism is growing in leaps and bounds. I won't attempt to quote the statistics because I don't recall them and I don't care enough to verify the sources. I know just from what I see in society that it's probably true. I can't say that atheists are the cause for all the problems because that's not true. I know some very nice people with really good morals and a great sense of civic duty that simply don't believe there is a God. I also know that just because you do believe in God doesn't mean that you are perfect. It all boils down to sin and we all have plenty of it. The biggest difference between the believers and the atheists is that the believers only have to deal with the terror during our relatively short time here on earth. The fact that death, regardless of being terror related or not, will bring us great peace, provides us with the strength to handle the earthly terror. The atheists, even if directly attacked by terror here on earth, are experiencing the "best" they will ever experience for all of eternity because it goes downhill very fast for them. (The reason for the flames in the photo above.)


I don't want to end this post on a low note, so I will finish with this: I felt this week was fitting for my rambling on this topic as it is the week of Christmas. Once again, something that is so much better for us believers. The birth of our Savior being celebrated this week is a beautiful reminder that even though our world has been degrading more and more each year, we have paradise to look forward to when our time on Earth ends because of Him. I am overjoyed that even my preschool and kindergarten aged girls can understand and explain that with clarity and certainty. Have a very Merry Christmas and remember the "terror" of this world is short and nothing to fear. Until next time....