Saturday, January 10, 2015

Marketing yourself






I have to say that I'm pretty excited with the way this new year is starting out. I've recently passed the 90 day mark at my "new" job and I am still loving every minute of it. I am glad to say that my initial enjoyment of the job wasn't just the "honeymoon stage" of starting a new job. I am still loving every minute of it. Not only am I still enjoying my job, I have added to my duties as of the new year. I now get to work some marketing into my day along with the account management that I have already been doing. Marketing has always appealed to me and now I have the opportunity to do more with it than just the occasional ad creation or Facebook post.

In honor of my new role in marketing, I have developed a personal marketing plan to generate nominations for my Average Jester blog for the 2015 Bloggies. I am going to use an indirect, sneaky and scheming manner to generate nominations through misdirection and some smoke and mirrors. (I guess that's only true if I hadn't warned you first...and I don't have smoke or mirrors.)

When I first started looking into writing a blog last year, I did a Google search for "best blogs of 2013". That search resulted in a listing of the winners from the 2014 Bloggies. For those of you who aren't up to speed on all that is blogging (I don't think I intentionally read a blog until just prior to starting my own), the Bloggies is an annual award for best blog of the year in a variety of different genres. I went through the list and started visiting blogs. I'm a sucker for doing a little research.

While doing this research, I stumbled across one of the winners from last year, Chaotic Kids & Clutter, and I really enjoyed it. What started out as me just trying to get an idea of what people are writing about in blogs ended up with me now being a loyal reader of Chaotic Kids & Clutter. I enjoyed the way he wrote because it was, well, kind of chaotic and sarcastic with a pinch of gibberish (no offense Scott)....just like me. Technically I should say I write like him since he WAS writing a blog long before I started mine. Basically though, if you enjoy my ramblings, I'll bet you'd enjoy his blog and you should check it out sometime. Now, don't all of you surf over to his page at once. I don't want a surge in his bandwidth when all seven of my loyal readers rush over to his site. Once you've had a chance to read his blog (and see that he is every bit as witty and well versed in the art of rambling as I am) be sure to navigate over to the 2015 Bloggies and nominate his blog for this year's award. While you're there, you can put in a nomination for me too. I only mention that as a favor to you because you are required to enter a minimum of three blogs. I've already helped you out with Chaotic Kids & Clutter and my blog, Average Jester. Now you only have to find one more on your own. Who knows, maybe by next year I will have finally convinced my sister to start her own blog and you can add her to your list for next year. Then of course be sure to go back on March 1st to vote for a winner. I doubt you'll find my blog in the finalists, but by then, you will have built up enough love for Chaotic Kids & Clutter to vote for him.

Believe it or not, there is a little bit of a marketing message in all this rambling. Ok, maybe it's a bit more of a sales message. People rarely buy stuff from you because of the stuff in itself. They buy that stuff from you because they want to buy from YOU. That's how I know I am going to get at least six or seven nominations for a Bloggie. Yes, I really do have that many friends who follow my blog. I'm still trying to figure out who all the other page views are coming from....especially the ones from Poland, France, Germany, Malaysia, and Ukraine. Gibberish must be a universal language. Until next time...