Monday, March 9, 2015

What pet to get?






My girls, like most kids on the face of the planet, want a pet. It wasn't all that long ago that they first learned I had a dog when I lived down in Texas. That little tidbit of knowledge has only fueled their desire to have a dog, or cat, or bird, or pony, or chicken....pretty much any pet would suffice. Just like me as a kid, they are clueless to the amount of work (and money) involved with owning a pet. There is also the obvious chance that they could quickly get past their desire to have a pet and then it would be my pet. I would love to have a dog again, but not enough to justify running out and getting one just yet. I think I can already hear the "why nots" coming in, so I will explain.


The first hurdle we would have to clear is what type of pet to get. I naturally lean towards getting a dog, but my biggest drawback for getting a dog right now is that I don't want to deal with giving the dog ample outside play and bathroom time through the sub-zero Minnesota winters. I won't get a cat because I'm allergic to them. (I also don't really think cats are all that much fun - please don't judge.) I had a few goldfish growing up and they were even less fun than a cat. (Not to mention the three goldfish I had were probably actually a dozen or more goldfish.) So far, the dog still has the lead in my book.


Thinking a little outside the box, my girls have had a few other ideas. Both of them want a pony. Well, duh?? They ARE little girls. If I still lived at my country place out in East Texas, that might be an option,,,,until I found out they only wanted a pony so they could braid it's hair. My youngest has a new fascination with snakes. That is not a thought I would have had for them and, once again, not a very fun pet to play with. The list went on.... A ferret might be fun. A monkey would be a blast. A pig could make bacon (that would be a tough sell with the girls though). An elephant would be awesome, but I'm not sure where we'd keep him. Little by little, we are realizing that a dog will probably end up being the winner......until I have an epiphany tonight. We need a smaller, fun, cute pet that doesn't mind the winter cold....




I'm really not sure why I never thought of getting a penguin before?? They're cute, they like the cold, they make some good movies. Along with fitting some our our basic criteria, I thought of another advantage to having a penguin: A penguin really should have a pool to make the summer bearable. (Oohh, a Bear, I forgot that one.) I would love to have an excuse to have a pool. It would be a win-win situation. My girls would have a cute little pet and my wife and I would have a pool. Now, does anyone know where I go to get a penguin? Let me know what you hear of any sales. Until next time....