Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Blade fascination





Ever since I was a kid, I have had a fascination with blades of all kinds. I'm pretty sure it's a normal fascination that most boys have and carry into adulthood. At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself. I am ashamed to say I have been without a knife the last two times I could have used one. It's not like I was getting jumped in a back alley or anything...just your typical "I need to get this thing opened" kind of situation. Ironically, when I make it a point to have a knife on me for weeks on end, I never seem to need it. I guess it's a lot like a gun though - it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Great, now I want to get another gun....

I remember my first knife like it was yesterday. My second cousin gave it to me when I was about eight or nine years old. I was old enough that my parents let me accept the gift, but young enough that they kept possession of it when I didn't need it. That first day, I pleaded with my mom to let me play with my knife. She said it was ok, but "BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT YOURSELF." Really mom? Who do you think I am? ......five minutes later, I was bleeding. It was awesome!

The different types of blades I've had over the years have varied greatly. I've had all kinds of folders, boot knives, survival knives and machetes. I've had a lot of fun with throwing knives and even throwing stars. I've spent plenty of time behind the old fashioned scythe that my dad had around the house. The Marine Corps even gave me the opportunity to get plenty of time with a K-bar and bayonet. In all my years though, I have never owned a sword. If I had a little more money growing on the tree out back, I would go buy a sword merely for the sake of owning one.

I think my desire for a sword started with Star Wars. I, just like every single one of my friends, dreamed of being a lightsaber-wielding Jedi Knight. I think we are all more than a little disappointed that the real-deal lightsaber STILL doesn't exist. What's going on with that? It's been more than 30 years and nobody has developed a real lightsaber yet?!?!

When I was in college, I got hooked on the tv show Highlander. (Laugh if you must.) It started out as my best tv viewing option when I went home for lunch between classes. Next thing you know, I'm watching every episode and wondering how I could justify learning to wield a sword. Over the years, I have continued to be fascinated by shows and movies like Shogun, The Last Samurai, and countless shows with medieval knights who never seem to run short on adversaries to battle.

I can still dream about having my very own sword, but I don't see it happening any time soon. In all reality, a fully functional lightsaber will probably be available by the time I figure out how to justify buying a sword. For now, I guess I will just have to continue to peruse Netflix for more sword-fighting heroes whether they be the good, old fashioned steel or glowing energy blades. Until next time....