Friday, April 24, 2015

Cheerios are my friend




I am nearing the end of the first week of my health improvement adventure and everything is going as planned so far. Since I am easing my way into this change, I didn't really expect week one to be all that terrible. The only real change I made this week so far was food related which involved adding breakfast (something I have not eaten regularly in ages) and reducing my portions at my other meals. I still have a little work to do on the portion control. My only real surprise this week was my regained, childhood love of Cheerios.

Cheerios have proven their value on a great many occasions throughout my life. I'm fairly certain it was one of the first solid foods I ever ate. I know it was the first for my own girls. I also recall Cheerios being tossed in the toilet for target practice when I was first learning to control my aim as a toddler. They were the most popular breakfast cereal when I was a kid, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was because they were cheaper than the "fun" cereals.

Now that I'm a big boy (in more ways than one), Cheerios have made a comeback in the form of my new go-to snack. Not only are they better than the usual junk I would snack on, they're also beneficial for my goal of lowering my cholesterol. It's also kind of fun sitting on the living room floor with my girls watching tv and each of us eating dry cereal out of our own little bowls. Of course, now I can't go directly to blaming them when I find Cheerios under the couch cushions.

I'm taking note of the little things that help me out on my path to a healthier life. I never would have guessed that the little thing that I would be so excited about this week was as small as a Cheerio. I can't wait to see what it will be next week. Until next time....