Saturday, April 11, 2015

Do Not Copy Me





One of these days I am going to count how many times I hear the phrase "don't copy me" spoken from one of my daughters to the other. It can be anything from the "outrage" of wanting to play with the same toy to a full blown game of repeating everything the other says. It's a timeless battle between siblings that I myself am guilty of having with my sisters as well.

It has been fun watching the subtle changes in how my girls interact with each other. Each of them seems to have aged about 3 years during this school year so far. Although their copy games continue, I have begun to notice a shift in how Ziva views being copied by her little sister. I don't know if it's the first year of kindergarten opening her eyes to the teaching-learning process or just the fact that she's growing up.

She has started pointing things out to me that Siri does to copy her, but in more of a "look what she learned from me" way. It is true. Her little sister wants to do everything that she sees her big sister doing. I've been trying to use that to my advantage with mixed results. The up side to this is that I had Siri attempting to ride her bike without training wheels today...a full two years ahead of schedule for when Ziva learned. Her urge to do whatever Ziva does may be part of the reason that Siri is more adventurous and daring that Ziva. Of course, that also means she'll probably be the first one of them to break a bone while being adventurous. Time will tell.

The down side to this is that Siri is also learning all the sneaky, troublesome, back-talking activities much faster than Ziva did. Fortunately for my wife and I, Ziva acts like the teacher in terms of correcting Siri for her wrongdoings as well. (Ziva would comment on the sarcasm here.) There is a little silver lining to this though. Telling Ziva that she needs to set a good example for her sister actually works from time to time now. Being able to see for herself that her actions are mimicked by her little sister has helped her grow up and watch her own actions....a little bit.

Then again, Ziva does have some strong leadership qualities in her. They may lean a little to the side of her just wanting to do what she wants to do and then finding a way to convince (or coerce) someone else to agree. The down side for my wife and I is that Ziva is getting pretty good a leading the kid rebellion in our house as well. I will give her credit though (if she's not within earshot), she knows how to get her sister riled up and working in tandem with her when she wants to throw a fit.

Well, nobody's perfect. For now, I am just going to enjoy (while strangely being a little sad) that my little girls are growing up into their own little personalities. Although those personalities may not always seem very little, they are a never-ending source of pride (and fear) for me. Since I can rarely predict what's coming next, I'm just gonna "keep on keeping on." Until next time....