Monday, April 6, 2015

Sarcasm and the 6 year old





This past week has been a lot of fun. (There might be a little sarcasm in there.) My youngest daughter started it out with a double ear infection and all the coughing, hacking and drooling goodness that comes with it. The tired, crabby attitude was just a bonus. My six year old started getting sick Friday night and now officially has pneumonia. My bonus out of this is that I am now getting sick. I'm hoping it's pneumonia because I'm used to that and it's always a lot of fun. Since I knew we were going to have a really pleasant week or two as we passed various illnesses around the house, I thought I'd have some fun with it.

I decided to teach my six year old daughter the finer points of sarcasm. (I knew that I'd be throwing a lot of it around this week.) After a week of working on it, she has become very good at identifying sarcasm. You would think that would be easy considering more than half the things I say around the house are sarcastic, so she has plenty of examples to learn from. There are a couple of problems that popped up during this week of "education."

Apparently, sarcasm isn't as simple and straight forward to a kindergartner as it is to an adult. Who would have guessed?? I quickly learned that helping her identify sarcastic statements was the place to start. She can now see a sarcastic comment coming from a mile away. That in itself brings problem number one into play. My wife and I can no longer use sarcasm to hide our dislike of certain activities around the house. I guess that just means she's going to get a little lesson on brutal honesty while we're at it. I do have to be careful right now while she's sick though. Telling her that "this is going to be a really fun night" while she's throwing up doesn't really go over so well now that she understands sarcasm.

Although she has become very good at identifying sarcasm, her ability to make sarcastic comments is still a little lacking. Her first attempts at sarcasm started out as a "fun way to tell a lie." Making lie telling fun was certainly not my intent, so I made sure to tweak that right away. She has now progressed to telling half truths - which is a step in the right direction, but still not quite right. She has the sense of humor of someone much older than her, so I am excited to see what happens as she grows into her sarcastic abilities.

For now though, I am going to hit the sack. Like I said before, I am really looking forward to finding out that I have pneumonia and I want to be well rested when I do find out. Until next time....