Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A world of extremes





I am starting to wonder when life turned into a series of extremes. There doesn't seem to be much of the "average" middle ground left anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think life is a lot more interesting when you're bouncing back and forth between extremes. I'm just wondering when the shift happened. Or, have I just stopped paying attention to the average stuff??

Everyday things seem to fluctuate between extremes. My heater kicked on this evening with the dropping temps after a day of rain. I imagine we'll be kicking the a/c into action tomorrow when it hits the 80's and gets humid because of today's rainfall. Right now the rain barely gives me a chance to mow the lawn. In about a month, there will be so little rain that I won't have a lawn to mow. We're about to transition from the hustle of school activities to trying to find enough activities to keep the girls occupied.

My girls have even gotten into the spirit of living in extremes. In the morning, you can't drag them out of bed. At the opposite extreme, you can't get them to stay IN bed at night. During the day (on weekends anyway) they either want to lounge on the couch and beg to watch tv or they're bouncing off the walls like they drank a pot of coffee and washed it down with a six pack of Mountain Dew. Then there's my favorite - their attitudes. They are either smothering you with hugs and kisses or they're screaming at you and stomping off in a huff. (I can't wait for the teen years!)

This idea of extremes has even worked it's way into my choice of television programs. It seems to be a back and forth choice between the good guys and the bad guys. I'll watch the good guys on NCIS, Criminal Minds or Longmire for a while. Then I switch gears and get into Dexter, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad. I'm not sure if they even make "middle ground" tv shows anymore.

There actually is a point I'm trying to make with all this rambling. I think the middle ground is gone in general. I think we've been desensitized by "real life" and we gravitate to the extremes to actually notice a difference in anything. It's kind of like the 5 o'clock news has become reality. (Disclaimer: I don't think there's much reality in the media.) It's like we yearn for the shock value of the horrendous things people say and do, and then to balance it out, we watch a bunch of YouTube videos about kittens and puppies. Or as some people will show you on social media, they go through their day without much in terms of social interaction only to get online and blast anything and everything they can. (The comments are usually more interesting that the original post.)

If you are worried about the complete loss of the middle ground, you can relax. I will do my part to try and maintain a consistent "average" for you. Average Jester will continue to stay away from the two extremes. I promise not to write anything so amazingly compelling that you confuse my blog with an award winning literary masterpiece. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I will do my very best not to write something so horrifically awful that it puts you to sleep. (Please note that all the times in past blogs when I referenced using Average Jester to put you to sleep - I was joking.) So, if you want a break from living on the wild side (or the completely bland side), stop back again anytime. At that I will bid you farewell for tonight. Until next time....