Monday, May 4, 2015

May the 4th be with you...





A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... I fell in love with Star Wars. OK, I guess it was only about 36 years ago and about 950 miles away, but you get the idea. I have loved Star Wars since I was that four year old kid down home in Texas. At that time, I really only appreciated the lightsaber duels, laser blasts, spaceships and crazy aliens. It wasn't until I got much older (about 10 years old) that I was able to really appreciate more of the full meaning of the story.

The movie was genius on a couple different levels. The special effects were years ahead of anything else. It still amazes me how realistic they were able to make the battles with the limited technology available at the time. Even without the special effects, or even in its printed form, the story is incredible in itself. The battle of good versus evil, a love story, patriotism and rebellion, a few nice plot twists and even a bit of humor makes it a well rounded story. Somehow I still can't convince my wife to sit down and watch a few of the Star Wars movies with me.

I know of one instance where a deal was made between husband and wife that if she watched Star Wars, he would watch the Sound of Music. This deal, to the best of my knowledge, ended with her watching Star Wars and him still never having seen the Sound of Music. I don't want to name names on this little deal (mostly because I don't want to throw my brother-in-law Kyle under the bus or remind his wife, Amy, that she still has a viewing of the Sound of Music coming) so I will just get to the point. Star Wars is the type of movie that deserves special circumstance deal making if it means that just one more person can be exposed to the wonderful piece of work that it is.

One of the many things I enjoy about working in the field of Information Technology is that there is no shortage of Star Wars fans. I would have assumed it was just a stereotype that computer geeks all liked Star Wars, but it's really not that far from reality. It's fun knowing that I can throw out a quote from Yoda and not get a blank stare in return. Even more fun is seeing some of the unique desktop wallpapers around the office. One of my favorites is Abraham Lincoln riding a Grizzly bear and wielding a lightsaber. It is a logical union of themes since Star Wars is heavily based on patriots standing up against the evil growing up around them and fighting for what is good and right.

I could ramble on and on about the correlation between the story line in Star Wars and what is currently taking place here in the real world right now, but I just don't feel like getting that deep with my message tonight. It will have to re-visit this them later on. Maybe around the 4th of July. For now, I'm going to kick back, relax and dream about the day someone finally invents a lightsaber. Of course, it probably wouldn't take long before someone tries to ban them. Until next time....