Monday, May 4, 2015

Rolling right along





It's official. For the first time in about 25 years, I am the proud owner of a bicycle. Normally I wouldn't be all that excited about it, but a lot has changed in the past month or so. For those of you who may not have been following my blogs, my daughter recently learned to ride her bike without training wheels. In other words, she rides a lot faster than I care to move on foot. Add to this my search for a form of exercise that doesn't destroy my knees and I end up with a bike.

The picture of the bike above pretty much shows all the bells and whistles that my new bike has. I wanted a bike, but I wasn't ready to drop a lot of money on one just yet. For less than $100, I purchased a mountain bike at Target. It's actually a decent bike, but the employees at Target need a little work on the assembly and tuning. In the first five minutes of riding I realized the front brake pads aren't angled properly so they squeal loud enough to make the neighborhood dogs start barking. The derailer limits weren't set so I ran the chain off the low end....and then the high end. At least the seat and/or handle bars stayed on.

Fortunately for me, I spent a number of years working at Ace where we not only sold a few bikes, we also did a lot of tune-ups and repairs. After a few minutes of work, I had the derailers set properly and ready to ride. One of these days I will adjust the front brakes. (You can only get in a partial tune-up when there's a six year old standing next to you wanting to go for a ride.)

I've had the chance to get two rides in with my daughter and even a short one by myself. I can already see that this bike purchase was a good decision. I'm actually looking forward to getting out and getting some exercise. I am curious how long it's going to take for my back side to get used to sitting on that little mountain bike seat though. Maybe it's just my age catching up to me?? I remember spending all day on a bike in my younger years and never having issues. I'm going to give it a few weeks before I break down and buy a cruiser seat for it. I'm just happy that I can keep up with my daughter so far. Until next time....