Saturday, May 16, 2015

Scoop or peel?





"One" of the things I'm learning during this whole health improvement process is that there is SO MUCH to learn. This morning my wife commented that the internet is both wonderful and horrible when it comes to researching anything online because there is an argument and "proof" for every opinion regardless of how different they are. In my case for example, doing a search for diet recommendations for reducing cholesterol, I have no problem finding a wealth of knowledge. The problem is that you find 100 different versions and opinions for anything you search for.
In my searching, primarily for a breakfast go-to meal, I perused a number of websites and came to the conclusion that oatmeal and grapefruit are the solution for me. There are plenty of other options, but those two appeared in every site I read. Rather than digging deeper into the benefits of all the other options, I chose to go with these two options to keep it simple. Now I have time to research the more important aspects of my choice of breakfast foods....to scoop or to peel my grapefruit??

Ever since I was a little kid, the only way I knew of to eat grapefruit was to cut it in half and scoop it out with a spoon. I will admit that it is the more fun way to eat a grapefruit, but I had the lingering feeling that there was an easier, or quicker, way to do it. After watching my wife peel her orange, I decided to give it a try with my grapefruit. I wasn't sure if it could be done or if it was entirely legal to do so.

I drew the curtains, turned off the lights in the house for good measure and began peeling. It was amazing. Grapefruits peel just like oranges. Who woulda thought it?? Ok, so they don't really peel just like oranges. The rind of a grapefruit doesn't separate quite as well as it does on an orange. Grapefruit rind also leaves a distinct aftertaste in your mouth if there is too much of it left on the fruit. The upside is that I find the grapefruit so much nicer to eat in full pieces rather than the little chunks I can scoop out with a spoon with my old method.

I am going to continue peeling my grapefruits as I find the end result much better....even if it takes a little more time to peel it completely. Now that I have discovered MY preference of grapefruit eating methods, you can decide for yourself which you prefer. I just wanted to share this with you in case you never thought of peeling a grapefruit rather than scooping it out. I'm sure this will be the hot topic of choice in all your conversations this week. You can thank me later. Until next time....