Saturday, May 23, 2015

What Is your story?





My six year old is wrapping up her year of kindergarten this week and it got my wife and I talking about how much she has changed this past year. It makes me feel old now that I use phrases like, "they grow up too fast," when referring to my own kids. We have been blessed with the availability of an amazing school for her with teachers that truly care for her and do a phenomenal job of nurturing her abilities.

Her reading and writing abilities have grown tremendously over the past school year. She started kindergarten knowing some basic sight words and spelling some simple words. After a year of kindergarten, she is now able to read "paragraph text" books like her children's Bible and she is also writing her own stories. As a matter of fact, writing her "books" is one of her favorite things to do. She is now excited to chronicle her summer activities and adventures in book form.

Since starting this blog almost a year ago, I have realized that writing has become very popular. Maybe it has always been big and I just didn't notice because I wasn't into reading blogs a couple years ago. Now that I'm knee deep in it, I am realizing just how many people actually take the time to read blogs and, even more exciting, how many people I know that already write their own blogs.

This got me thinking about two things:
1. Out of curiosity.... Who is actually reading what I write?
2. Because I REALLY do want to know....What are you writing?

I jumped on Google Blogger when I started for a few reasons. One, I already have a Google account, just like almost everyone else out there it seems. Two, it was easy to use - and I didn't want to be battling to figure out a blogging platform when I wanted to just write for fun. Now I can also add a three and possibly four... Google makes it very easy to share across multiple sites and offers pretty decent analytics - for free.

Thanks to Google Analytics, I know that my blog has been read in the United States, France, Poland, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Germany, Russia, Ukraine, Antigua and Malaysia....to name the majority. I realize it's the World Wide Web, but it really peaks my curiosity to learn who is actually reading these posts. I can understand one random viewing from the Ukraine, for example, but to have multiple pages read each month consistently tells me someone may actually be following the blog.

I don't want to call anyone out or make them feel uncomfortable, but I am curious who is following my blog from around the world. It would be nice to know how you stumbled across it and what you like about it. I never have a shortage of content floating around in my head and it would be fun to know which posts are most enjoyed. (I can see which ones are most viewed.) Add a comment or send me a message if you're willing to share with me how you found my blog and what you'd like to see more of.

As I stated before, I am constantly being surprised by friends that are currently writing their own blog...and I didn't know about it. I am even more curious about this than why you're reading my blog. If you currently write a blog, let me know about it. What do you write about? Why did you decide to start writing? Once again, feel free to comment or send me a message. I would love to check out what you've been doing with your blog.

This post was really started because of my enjoyment of my little girl's love of writing. I don't know if it means more to me because I like to write or just because she's growing up so fast. The same goes for my "suddenly" realizing how many friends already write their own blogs. Maybe I am just becoming aware of it because I write one too?? It's kind of like shopping for a new red truck. Once you start looking at them, you see them all over the place.

Here's your optional homework/Q&A for this week: Let me know your answer to any or all of the questions below:

1. How did you stumble across my Average Jester blog? I know many of you had me force it down your throats via Facebook or daily conversations...I appreciate you reading in spite of that.
2. What do you like about it? Favorite topics? As I said above, I have a ton of content bouncing around in my head. I would love to focus more on what you enjoy reading.
3. Do you write a blog? If so, let me know about it. I encourage you to post a link to your site here in the comments or in the comments for this post on my Average Jester Facebook page. I have a feeling that if you like what I write about, then many of my readers will in turn enjoy reading what you write about....Just a thought.

** Here are a couple of other ways to respond if you prefer:
My Google+ page - This is my personal Google+ (which you can also access on the sidebar of by blog.)

I'll let you go for now. It's time to get back to enjoying a three day weekend with my girls. Until next time....