Tuesday, June 16, 2015

40 wasn't so bad





Well, it's that time of year again. It seems to happen every year - no matter what I think about it. As a matter of fact, I think it's coming around in less than a year nowadays. You got it...my birthday is here. It seems like just a few months ago I was turning the big 4-0. I didn't really think anything about turning 40 and turning 41 shouldn't be all that different.

I don't feel like I'm getting older. I've had joint and muscle issues since my mid 20's due to the years I spent working in the tree industry. OK, so maybe it wasn't so much the tree industry that caused it, but rather my young, dumb, macho mentality during my 20's  where I felt I had to lift twice the weight I should and paid less attention than I should have to proper lifting techniques. The summer I spent at the Marine Corps School of Infantry didn't help much either. Once again, not the fault of the Marine Corps, but rather the fact that I sprained my knee in week three and chose to force my way through the next eight weeks and pretty much destroy my knee.

Now that I'm older, I've gotten smarter. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. My wife would probably explain it as having turned into a big, whiny kid. By that I mean I have no problem taking it easy when I'm sick or injured. As a matter of fact, she probably feels like she just has a extra kid in the house that she has to wait on. (I can't say I could really defend against that argument either.)

One thing I have learned in my six plus years of being a father is that seeing your kids age is what really makes you start to feel old. This past year I have watched my kids age by means of learning to ride bikes without training wheels, starting kindergarten, reading chapter books and the like. Just knowing that my two little ones aren't so little anymore makes me feel older. On the plus side, their added mobility and intelligence has forced me to think three steps ahead of them. Once again, I think I am getting smarter with age.

It's nice to know that I am indeed getting smarter every year. I am curious when the whole sexy, mature man looks will kick in though. Right now I'm too busy battling the "furniture disease" as my old man calls it...my chest is falling into my drawers. Well, at least I have my smarts....as long as I don't start forgetting stuff. It hasn't happened so far - at least not that I remember. Until next time....