Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Why is it called middle age?






I'll be honest right up front...I'm not sure what really classifies as "middle age" any more. I think I'm getting pretty close - if I'm not already there. Is 41 years old considered middle age? The thing that got me thinking about this is that I have recently started looking at middle age as a combination of two things: Age and Technology

I recently saw a post on Facebook that said something like, "Don't complain about your parents' struggling to understand technology - they did teach you how to use the potty." That sums it up pretty well in my book. (Just be glad I chose not to write about the one I saw comparing how we start and end our lives wearing diapers.)

I have had the pleasure of helping my dad with a number of technological issues this past week, (Sorry to throw you under the bus Dad. FYI- You're NOT the only person who asks for and receives help from me in this arena. You can also ask the REAL tech gurus at my work - I ask LOTS of tech questions that probably seem silly to them...and frustrate them.) I probably got a little frustrated during our tech repair sessions (Dad might place the level of frustration a little higher on the scale.), but in the end, I'm glad I could help. I just kept thinking about how he had the frustration of teaching me to use the potty.

For the record - the way my Mom always told it anyway - I apparently barely learned to use the potty before starting preschool. The pushing (no pun intended...well, maybe a little.) that finally worked was Mom telling me she was just going to teach me how to change my own diaper. She also added that I would be the only one doing that - so she wouldn't recommend it. (A little fear of embarrassment goes a long way.) Whatever. It worked. It's even worked on my eldest daughter on occasion....but now I'm getting off on a tangent...

Back on track - I can appreciate the training and learning process all the more now that I am in the middle. Middle age. Middle tech knowledge. However you want to look at it.

I get to experience teaching my two little girls things and being frustrated when they just don't do it or give up too soon. We're past the potty training stage (thankfully), have one of them riding a bike without training wheels (and the other not too far behind) and now we're working on swimming lessons. I plan to visit with my Dad in the next few weeks to see just how I did on all those things. I think the swimming is frustrating me the most, but to be realistic, I grew up in Texas and had an in-ground pool in our backyard. I'm pretty sure I was swimming shortly after walking.

Now I have the joy of helping/teaching my Dad (and others...) about how to use their technology. There is also a lot of fixing technology involved as well. I do have to say that once I learned how to access the computers in question remotely (a newer tech skill of my own), life got a lot easier. Then again, it does make the smartphone and no internet connection issues that much more frustrating because I CAN'T login to a computer remotely to fix them.

The scary part to me is that my little girls (ages four and six) can already pick up my phone, unlock it with the "secret swipe", open the Netflix App, select a movie, select the right input on the tv, cast the movie to the tv via the Chromecast plugged into the HDMI port and sit back and watch. That means the girls will very likely catch up to me in the technology skills department in about six months. You hear that Dad? My girls will probably have to help me with tech before I reach 50. That should make you feel better.

The moral of this long-winded, rambling, tangent-taking story is to have a little patience. Be patient when you're training your kids as they are developing their new skills. Be patient when you're helping your parents on the ever changing technological advancements they are being forced to learn years after they thought class was dismissed. Have fun. Teach somebody something....patiently. Until next time....