Friday, August 14, 2015

What's in a name?






I have spent a little time this week tossing names around with my wife. No, we're not calling each other names. After a false start earlier this summer, she has decided she would like to start her own blog. As everyone knows, the only hard part to writing a blog is coming up with a name for it. So, we spent a few days bouncing names off each other. It was a lot like trying to come up with name ideas during a pregnancy...without the years of crying and diaper changing to follow. That leads me to the title of this blog, what's in a name?
Much like naming your child, there are a lot of questions going through your head as you analyze each name idea. Does it sound good? Is it easy to say? Is it easy to remember? Does it fit the person, or in this case, the blog? (I always thought that was funny when naming an unborn child because you have no idea what they're going to be like.) What impression do people get when they hear the name?


There's also those reasons you may choose not to use a particular name. While naming you children, it may be a negative reaction you have to the name of a former girlfriend or boyfriend, a lazy co-worker or maybe a naughty kid you had in class. (A major deal breaker for the teachers out there.) I don't think it's worth your time to worry too much about that because it's out of your control once you pick the name.


Helping my wife come up with a name for her soon-to-be-born blog got me thinking about the name I chose for my own blog. In all honesty, I didn't really give it all that much thought. My image above is actually fairly close to the thought process I had.

I know I have the ability to ramble on for hours...with or without a topic. I also knew going in that I was completely new to the whole blogging thing. Having no prior experience blogging, my thought was that I was just your "average Joe" putting his thoughts to words. It wasn't until I remembered a little scenario my wife told me about that I finalized the name for my blog.

One of my wife's former co-workers saw her and asked about me by saying, "How's ol' Jester doing?" She said it made me sound like I was a horse or something. At that moment I knew...if a horse named Mr. Ed could have a television show, then an average guy named Jesse could have a blog. A few minutes later, the Average Jester blog had a name.

Fast forward a little more than a year and you will find Average Jester just as average as it ever was. I say this partially because I tend to use self deprecating humor (in case you missed it), but I also say it to prove a point about a name. I went in thinking I'm an average everyday guy...which I was...and still am. To many though, average means not great, mediocre, lacking, bland, blah, etc. Now I may not be winning any awards here, or supporting my family with my earnings (totaling zip, zilch, nada so far), but I do have my fair share of readers. I think that's due in part to the fact that I'm average. That means I'm just like a lot of people out there and they can relate to what I write...and that's not a bad thing.

I try to have a moral lesson in my blog at least once every six months or so...and here it is: A name doesn't make you what you are. People are reminded of who or what you are when they hear your name. With that pearl of wisdom, I am going to let you go for now. Hopefully you won't think of a horse every time you think of Average Jester. Until next time....