Saturday, November 28, 2015

Better Than Fries




A little over seven months ago, I started a new category on my blog called "Hubby Health." For those of you who have been reading average jester on a regular basis, you know that I haven't posted a lot in that category as of late. A little conversation tonight at dinner got me thinking about it again and I thought I should catch you up (accountability) and give you an update on my next steps (planning).



Well, truth be told, Hubby Health was a train wreck. I don't want to be overly dramatic about it, but I couldn't pass up using the above image because (in my mind) a train wreck was the first word that came to mind. In reality, a stalled car would have been more accurate, but where's the fun in that??

I haven't gone off the deep end and started gorging myself every time I came across a plate of food, but I have taken a few steps back on my portion control progress. A wonderful Thanksgiving feast this week probably didn't encourage me either, but that's my own mental hurdle to jump. I don't think I have gone back to quite where I was on portions before my health goal started, but I'm probably not too far away from there.

The bigger issue I see (and was reminded of tonight at dinner) is the lack of exercise. Now that summer is behind us, the walks, bike rides (although limited) and yard work have tapered off. Being the "completely unmotivated to exercise" person that I am, I find myself rightly concerned about how I'm going to kick the exercise portion of my health goal back into gear.

The most immediate solution may be presenting itself this week in the form of 6-12" of snow. Shoveling snow is a great workout, but it's also limited (or dictated) by the weather. I'm banking on a lot of snow this year to give me the easy option for exercise. Having a good amount of snow on the ground will make my walks more beneficial too. Walking through a foot or two of snow will help me burn a lot more calories than the summer walks on the sidewalk did. Is it too much to ask for a lot of snow, but above zero temperatures?

I am now on the quest to find another form of exercise that I can (at least learn to) enjoy and doesn't cost me a fortune to get started. Cross country skiing first popped into my head with the snow on its way, but I quickly realized I would have to sell both my kidneys to get outfitted for that. I could use work-out videos like my wife does, but so far she hasn't appreciated me sitting around watching her Jillian Michaels DVD's. (That's a joke.)

I have often toyed with the idea of getting a heavy bag and getting back into a punching/kicking workout. Who knows, maybe my wife would be interested in that as well?? It wouldn't be an all bad thing to find a workout that suits us both. It would certainly help me since she's the one with the drive to actually workout each morning. We'll see what I come up with. I guess the best I can say right now is it's better to be a couch potato than fries, but that's not really a choice at this point. Until next time....