Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Wii - Now We Are Having Fun




So the last time I personally owned a video game system of any kind, it was similar to the old school Atari shown in the photo. Thanks to the generosity of my sister and her husband, my family now has the added joy of having a Wii in our house. As far as gaming systems go, I think the Wii is about the best (and possibly only) option for our family.

Although I have spent my fair share of time mindlessly playing video games over the years (a number of years ago anyway), there is a reason we haven't had one in our house up until now. Most importantly, we didn't want our girls to get used to sitting around playing video games when they could be doing something more active. I have been pleasantly surprised with the active possibilities with the Wii. I've also learned a few lessons.

Don't challenge your children - They will win
It took me all of about 5 minutes to learn that my girls pick up on the games ten times faster than I do. I already knew they had ten times the energy I do. Put those two facts together and you can guess who wins most of the games. It only took me a few days to learn that tennis is my sport. I only say that because my six year old beat me in every other game we played from shuffleboard to boxing. Yes. My daughter beat me at boxing...I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Playing Wii does NOT calm kids down before bed
One little scheduling glitch I have found is that my game playing time with the girls seems to work out best after dinner and before their bath and bedtime routine. You would think that a few high energy rounds of games would wear them out and help prep them for bed. I know for me anyway, a number of rounds of the Wii Sports Resort games followed by a hot shower would put me right to sleep. Not so with kids. It seems to make them wild and crazy.

Video games can be great exercise
On the bright side, I think this might prove my wife's point about how exercise gives you more energy. This Wii might just be the best of both worlds. It's fun and entertaining while also "forcing" you (me) to be active at the same time. My wife and I setup our Wii Fit profiles tonight. Although I'm not sure how accurate the initial assessment was, I am looking forward to seeing how I progress....while still having the fun of playing video games.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this Wii can help me stay active during the remainder of our Minnesota winter. (Technically, that's not much of an excuse this winter considering how mild the winter has been so far.) I think it's going to be a great opportunity to have some family fun while getting a bit of exercise. I'll let you know how it goes. Until next time....