Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Inside vs Outside


I seem to be made aware of my age more and more lately. Not so much by things people say to me, but rather by thoughts going through my head that sound like something my parents would have said to me many years ago.

Sure, I've had my girls (and the occasional co-worker) point out that I am getting a few more grey hairs every year, but that doesn't bother me a bit. I'm not even concerned about how I'm ready for bed a 9:30pm every night or that I'd never pass on the opportunity for a Sunday afternoon nap.

It seems like just last week the snow was flying here in southern Minnesota and we were chomping at the bit to get outside. I was also beginning to get a little concerned about how much screen time the girls were getting between television and computer. That's pretty much my fault though.

We didn't seem to have that problem when I was a kid. Of course, if you ask my girls, they'd tell you we didn't have electricity when I was a kid. Somehow they must think that since I have actually ridden a horse I must have grown up in the old West. I should probably stop telling my older daughter that Laura Ingalls was in my class...

Now that it has been so beautiful outside, we have been spending as much time as possible enjoying it. I am loving our family walks, bike rides and playing at the park. We even got in a bit of early season gardening this past weekend. The fact that my back was a bit sore after a day of yard work didn't make me feel old.

What did make me feel old was the cartwheels. Yep, you heard it right. Cartwheels.

My girls got to see one of their friend's gymnastics class and now they suddenly want to be gymnasts. My first mistake was telling them that I used to be able to do cartwheels. My second mistake was feeling like a young kid again and wanting to do gymnastics with my girls. My biggest mistake though was not putting enough emphasis on "USED TO" be able to do cartwheels.

For the record, I did two pretty decent cartwheels to show them. I wouldn't have won any awards, but they were done with fairly decent form. The fact that I couldn't use my arms for the next two days DID make me feel old though. At least it was fun...and boy oh boy were the girls impressed!

I'm looking forward to enjoying this summer outside with my girls....especially now that they are more adventurous and enjoy challenging dad to silly things like cartwheels. Most of all, I am excited that they truly get involved on good old fashioned outside play and don't drudge along wishing they could be watching tv or playing on the computer instead.

That being said, I should probably shut down the old laptop for now and do something more productive like watch tv. Until next time....