Saturday, June 18, 2016

Double Down on 21


I made it! It's that time of year again that seems to happen like clockwork....I just had another birthday. For some reason the clock seems to be going a little faster every year though. It's probably just my imagination, but you never know.

I hit 42 years old this year. It really doesn't seem that old to me now that I'm here, but my body doesn't always agree with my perception of its capabilities. In my head, I'm a couple of 21 year olds trapped in a 42 year old body. Sometimes it works out ok for me, but other times something as simple as mowing the lawn can make my back sore for a day. 

There are only a few changes I have really noticed between the 21 year old me and the 42 year old me....in terms of how I feel physically. First and foremost, I tend to enjoy my sleeping time a lot more. Maybe "enjoy" isn't as accurate as saying I "need" my sleeping time more. One late night seems to have lingering affects for the couple days that follow. Gone are the days of going multiple days in a row with only 3-4 hours of sleep each night. 

Kinda tied into that is that I don't seem to have as much energy as I did when I was 21. My wife would tell me that it's because I don't exercise enough...and she's probably right. She's always right. It's hard to argue with that since my "exercise" mainly consists of mowing the lawn and occasionally letting her use me as a punching bag while sparring. 

Other life changes must also be taken into account. Back in my 20's, I was in the Marine Corps and had jobs like climbing trees for a living. Now I pretty much sit behind a desk. It's a lot harder to get away with not exercising when my occupation no longer includes a 12 hour built-in exercise routine. I hate to say it out loud, but my wife's right when she points that out too.

My appearance has changed a bit over the years as well. I have been producing more grey hairs every year. To be fair though, through the majority of my 20's and 30's, I didn't really have any hair. I got used to the high and tight haircut from the Marine Corps days and it pretty much stuck until I turned 40. So maybe I've had grey hair since I was 25 and just didn't know it. All I do know is that my five year old daughter is very good about reminding me (frequently) how many grey hairs I have.

I can deal with the appearance changes and even take steps to correct them. The one change I'm not looking forward to as I age though is if or when my memory starts going. As far as I know, it hasn't happened yet...at least not that I can remember. 

Come to think of it though, maybe a little short term memory loss wouldn't be all bad. It might come in handy to have an "official" reason for not doing something my wife asked me to do. Being able to legitimately say, "Sorry honey - I forgot...because I'm old," could save my bacon. (Mmmmm...Bacon)

I guess it doesn't do much good to dwell on the differences too much. The end result of the effort is that I apparently need to exercise more. Then again, if my memory could start failing a little, then I wouldn't remember what has changed since I was 21. No. I have too many good memories I wouldn't want to forget. I guess the exercise part is the lesser of two evils. 

I'm going to run for now. I can smell a birthday cake baking in the oven. That means I should probably get up and do something active to proactively counteract the cake I will be enjoying tonight after supper. Until next time....