Saturday, July 2, 2016

Alchemy


If you haven't already read my last post titled "Pick Your Poison," you might want to give that a quick look to help this post make sense. For those of you who don't want to take the time to do that, here's the general idea in a nutshell: I complained about how there are too many social media platforms to keep up with.

Since I always strive to remain as average as possible (while still keeping people on their toes), I decided that only utilizing three social media platforms was below average. Because of that, I went in search of a new social media platform to add to my arsenal. Apparently I went from warning you about poison to practicing alchemy??

I wanted to pick one that wasn't overly complicated, would add value to the old average jester blog, possibly help boost the interaction and (most importantly) be simple for me to figure out and keep up with. In case the cover picture didn't scream it out at you, I chose Instagram. (FYI- You can follow me on Instagram here.) 

It may at first seem a little odd that I choose to add another social media platform a few days after referring to them as "poison" in my Pick Your Poison post. If you think about it though, it really makes perfect sense. Although it may not always look like it, I do actually put a little thought into what I write. Because of that, I did a lot of thinking about the different platforms (at least the ones I'm aware of) and it got me wondering if I was missing the boat on one of them.

My wife uses Instagram and she really seems to enjoy it. I know it's a pretty hot platform right now too. The part that won me over is that it pretty much just involves sharing photos. Since my blog is fairly heavy on content around my daughters, I know I have tons of photos that tell a story, but don't always warrant a full post.

My wife even taught me a little something about utilizing social media that I think I can use via Instagram. Apparently the whole world (or at least the above average people) is aware that you shouldn't just focus on "promoting" your passion, but also in letting others get to know you.

I know I am guilty of pushing the average jester blog out there...sometimes for the sake of ensuring people are aware of us average bloggers. Although my blog is mostly about my day to day life, it doesn't do as good a job of showing the little tidbits of average that pop up between posts. Maybe this fancy new (to me) Instagram account will help remedy that. 

We'll see how it goes. I'm pretty excited about it. No matter how much I made it seem like figuring out a new social media platform was a huge chore, it's still fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. Feel free to follow me on Instagram and throw out your two cents worth...or little hearts...whatever the case may be. Until next time.... (or the times in between on Instagram)....


* Aug 2016 update - I got bored with Instagram, didn't find it useful and didn't want to keep an account that I knew would go stale.... so I closed it.