Monday, July 18, 2016

Ten Sweet Years


My wife told me the other day that our ten year anniversary is just around the corner. Apparently, she's reminded me a few times in the last month, but my memory just isn't what it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I was well aware that our anniversary was coming up. I just don't pay as much attention to what the running count is.

It doesn't feel like it's been ten years. The strange part is that I can't decide if it feels like it's been more than ten years or less. Maybe it's my memory going in my old age or maybe I'm just bad at keeping track of important dates and the cumulative count achieved after successive years.

Some days it feels like we've only been married for three or four years. It seems like yesterday we walked down the aisle to say our "I do's." At least I remember it like it was yesterday. Maybe my memory isn't as bad as I thought. Or, it could be that we watched our wedding video last week with our daughters. 

Time really does fly when you're having fun. That's probably why it only seems like it's been a few years rather than a decade. Then again, with all the fun we've had, it certainly couldn't have all fit into just a handful of years. Once you add in all the changes to our family since we were married, the scale starts to tip the other way.

In the ten years since we've been married, we've moved into a new home, had a number of career changes, been on a number of cross country vacations and added two children to our family. There have been more joys and sorrows, triumphs and losses than I care to even attempt to list. I should point out that I do however see great value in remembering both the good and the bad. The bad times help you appreciate the good times all the more.

Just thinking about all these changes that have taken place makes me feel as though it's been more like 20 years. That would make more sense considering how much faster the years seem to go once you have kids. But considering I didn't get married until I was 32 years old, I hope it hasn't really been 20 years.

One of the most important things I have learned during our years of marriage is that my wife is almost always right. Because of that, I am going to assume she is correct when she tells me it's our ten year anniversary. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with this information.

I did an internet search to see what the "suggested gift" is for the ten year anniversary and made an interesting discovery. According to the traditional anniversary gift list, the ten year gift is tin or aluminum. Then I saw there is now a contemporary list. That list says the ten year gift is diamond jewelry. 

How did that happen? Is it like inflation where the cost just keeps going up? Or have marriages just gotten that much worse that it takes a bigger gift to appease your partner? I suppose it could be the opposite where marriages have gotten so much better that they warrant a larger gift, but I don't think so considering the divorce rate these days.

I know my wife is definitely worth buying some diamond jewelry. I'm not sure how I'm going to do that on a tin can budget, but it will be fun trying. Perhaps I will just have to skip the traditional and contemporary gift guidelines and go with the old fashioned guideline: Picking something out myself rather than using an internet guide. 

Time will tell if I succeed. I know we have some pretty fun plans in place for our anniversary. That's a good start at least. We'll see where it goes from there. Hopefully love will go a long way too. I have lots of that for her and it didn't cost me anything. Until next time....