Saturday, August 13, 2016

Controlled Chaos



I have always been a by-the-book kind of guy who thrives on standard operating procedures. It's quite possibly because I wasn't all that great at listening, following directions or behaving in general as a kid. I gradually improved over time and whatever wasn't already in order by the time I left for boot camp was corrected in short order there.

My passion for order does not mean I don't operate well without a well defined standard operating procedure. It just means I make every effort to somehow control the chaos. I'm pretty sure any parent can back me up on this.

Now that my following is soaring to almost the double digit mark, this same thought process on order is starting to work it's way into my blogging... and I don't know how I feel about that yet. I have really been enjoying my fly by the seat of my pants approach. Nevertheless, I find myself looking at ideas to add a little order to my chaos while trying out some new things. I'm always excited about trying something new.

I have thought about mixing some video into my blog from time to time. Every time I started to pursue the idea in the past, I ended up putting it on the back burner. A few of the other bloggers I follow recently posted videos and got me thinking about it again. I'm excited to mix it up, but I'm currently undecided on what I would actually want to include in the form of a video.

For the time being, I created this little video as a test project to see how it worked out. I don't want to build up my outstanding (-ly lacking) video production skills and ruin it for you, but I will tell you this though... If you watch this 41 second video, you will learn the answer to a question that has been burning in the minds of all my readers.


Besides the possible addition of videos to the average jester blog, I have been considering adding further order by setting a schedule or sorts for my posts. The problem I have with this is that I write for fun and I don't want to turn it into a job where I force myself to produce on a schedule. I would rather be inconsistent than lose the joy I have for blogging.

Throwback Thursday seems like an easy enough plan for me. It would not only be a consistent schedule, but would also allow me to showcase a few of my earlier posts. I should be able to make it a few months of Thursdays before I run out of halfway decent blogs to re-post anyway.

I even thought about Follow Friday or Sharsies Saturday, but I see minor flaws in both those plans. I already make an effort to share other bloggers' posts and encourage others to follow them. I like to do that when I see them rather than waiting for a specific day to focus on that.

Who knows what my gameplan will end up being. At the very least, I will see if this video processes properly. (Which was the main point of this post....but I ramble.) Only time will tell if I choose to try and control the chaos that is my current blogging habits or if I just keep trudging along as I always have. Until next time....