Saturday, August 6, 2016

Salad Lover


My wife and I have very similar taste in food, but we never seem to order the same thing when we go out to eat. She is a lot better than me at making "healthy choices" (as if that's a real thing), but I have been surprised (or even disappointed) on a few occasions when our meals were served.

During our recent trip to Portland, we managed to go out on a date for our 10th wedding anniversary without our kids in tow. My sister and brother-in-law took us out on the town to show us around. We started out a McMenamins Grand Lodge for dinner. As it turns out, it was a great choice.

As we perused the menu, I passed on a number of options in the steak, pasta and seafood areas due to the unstoppable draw I felt to one of their specialty burgers. I wish I could tell you the name of the burger I had, but I can't. It was a glorious combination of local cheddar, mushrooms, onions...there might have been an egg involved?? I don't really recall. I just remember loving it, but that's not the point of my post today. 

My wife eyeballed the menu and ended up settling on a salad. She is an amazing woman when it comes to food. She loves great food just as much as I do...but with a better sense of self control. Before you turn your nose up to the idea of eating a salad when you're out on a special date night, scroll back up to the top and take a look at that photo again. That was her salad - rightly called a Steak Salad.

I'm sure when she ordered it, she was thinking there would be a few steak medallions sprinkled into the salad for a nice meaty bonus to the salad. What she got was a six or eight ounce steak on top of an amazing salad. Add the Stout beer to the side and she was in heaven.

I am not complaining about my meal. It was a huge, delicious burger and I was extremely happy with the results. I cannot say the same for some of the other restaurants we have visited in the past. The funny part is that it only seems to happen when I am starving and she just wants something light.

My wife and I review the menu a bit differently. In my mind, if I'm going to pay restaurant price for a meal, I want to get my money's worth. My wife just looks for something she thinks she'll enjoy. I don't recall too many times either of us have been disappointed by the taste of the food served. It's more often been surprise by the portion size. 

A typical scenario involves me ordering what is described as a mountainous burger that will completely change your idea of what a burger should be. My wife, not feeling all that hungry, will order a simple chicken pasta dish. Then we both wait for our scrumptious meal to arrive. And then it does...

My burger will often end up looking like what I would normally refer to as a "slider" - those little appetizer burgers that take two bites to consume. My wife's "little" pasta dish gets delivered by a sumo wrestler-sized waiter in a bowl about six inches deep and two feet wide with pasta stacked a foot high and falling over the edges of the plate. Basically a meal for a family of five....or ten.

I can't complain too much because she will share her overflowing plate of food with me. I just wish the menus would do a better job of describing what you're actually getting. Don't get me started on a photo to reality comparison of a burger at a fast food joint like McDonald's or Burger King. I can't really blame them though. Everyone knows the photos are a ridiculous rendition of the actual burger. 

Maybe my wife and I should just agree to each order our own meal and plan on splitting them both in two and sharing. That way we'll both get food we love and nobody will get short changed on portion size. (By "nobody," I mean me. She never complains about portion size.) 

Well, I have to run for now. My wife is making hot meatball subs with fries on the side for dinner. Considering the aroma is so strong I can already taste it, dinner must be almost ready. I can't wait! Until next time....