Thursday, September 1, 2016

Daughter Daylight Savings


How many alarms do you set in the morning? Back before the days of having an alarm clock app on my phone, I used to have two alarm clocks. My primary alarm clock had always been your typical plugin electronic clock. I always had a backup alarm clock that was battery powered as well. I hate being late, so I wasn't gong to take any chances that the power might go out and kill my primary alarm clock.

My favorite alarm clock from over the years had alarm sound settings for birds, babbling brook and ocean waves. You pick which sound you wanted and it would start out mild and gradually get louder and louder. The ocean waves, for example, would start out as a gentle lapping of the waves against the shoreline. If you didn't turn the alarm off, it would eventually sound like a hurricane is about to tear your room apart. 

I don't need any of those clocks anymore. Sure I still have an electronic clock near my bed with big red numbers on it, but that's so I can see what time it is when I happen to wake up in the middle of the night. Being able to glance at that is far less disruptive to my sleep pattern than having to go through all the trouble of swiping my smartphone screen to display the clock. I don't like to interrupt my beauty sleep any more than necessary because I can use all the beauty sleep I can get.

I have added two other alarm clocks to my arsenal in the forms of my two little girls. If you have kids, you know what I'm talking about. There is an apparent flaw with their timing though and I know it's not specific to them.

My girls (wife included since she works at a local school) have had an almost 4 month long summer break this year due to construction at multiple schools in town. They had an early release at the end of the school year and a late start this fall. Today was my wife's first in-service work day which meant the lazy summer schedule has come to an end. That is apparently the opposite of what my two youngest girls had in mind.

Like clockwork (pun totally intended), my two little darlings - without fail - will wake up around 5am every day of the summer and every Saturday throughout the year. That's assuming they don't decide to get up "early" and then it's more like 4am. 

This schedule magically changes if it's a school day or a Sunday and we're trying to get out the door for school, work or church. Today was no different. Today was the first non-Sunday, summer day in 4 months that both girls had to be dragged out of bed at 7am. What is with that? It's like my daughters have their very own version of daylight savings time. 

I don't think there is a cure for this. I have heard that the teen years will eventually shift into a "never want to wake up" mode, but I can deal with than. I would rather have to drag them out of bed as needed if I was assured I would be left alone on the select days when I can actually sleep in. 

Time will tell if that is true or not. Until then, I will just continue to lay in bed and pretend like I can't hear my girls hollering for me in the other room...or right in my ear. My wife eventually gets up and takes care of whatever it is they're wanting or needing anyway. Until next time....