Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Grated Cheese


My second grade daughter was reading one of her chapter books to me this evening before she went to bed and a particular phrase jumped out at me - "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I mention this because it gives me an almost plausible excuse for borrowing a play out of a fellow blogger's playbook. (Some would call it plagiarism, but my attorney says I should use a less harsh word to describe it.) Anyway...

A wonderful gal by the name of Diane Lynn writes a blog called The Gratitude Letters. She was kind enough to point out that today is World Gratitude Day. I figured if she could write letters of gratitude on a consistent recurring basis, the least I could do is attempt to do the same on this one special day of the year. Since I am well aware of my lack of ability to remain sincere and heartfelt through an entire post, I titled my post Grated Cheese. I hope to express a little gratitude, but I know it's going to be a little cheesy coming from me. Well here goes....

Dear Friend, 

I am extremely grateful for cheese. I love cheese. My love for cheese is nearly as strong as my love of peanut butter. Truth be told, they are technically equal as far as edible delights go, but I have to rank cheese a little ahead of peanut butter. The only reason for that is because I already admitted that I like to be cheesy and although it's a different type of cheese, I think it still applies and must be counted in the overall weighting of the two. 

Alright, this will get way too long if I single out different food items... Let's just say I love food. If food was able to prepare itself, that would be even better, but alas - it doesn't. Stupid, lazy food...

Maybe I should have listed my wife before food in my gratitude letter?? My wife is an amazing cook. Well, she's a really good cook, but since she cooks for me all the time, I think she's pretty amazing. She even cooks for my two little girls which I always thought was amazing until I realized that meant there was only enough food for me to have two helpings rather than the desired three or four helpings. I guess that's helping my health so I should probably be grateful for that too. Ok. I decided. I am very grateful for that too.

That makes me think of my girls now. I am extremely grateful for them as well. If it wasn't for them, I would have slept through the entire night last night when the thunderstorms rolled through. I hate it when I fall asleep and don't budge until morning. I really love it when I get to wake up in the middle of the night for some reason. (You may think I'm joking, but I actually do like that. It's like an added bonus because I wake up thinking it's almost morning only to find out there are still a number of glorious sleeping hours left in the night.)

Thinking of my wife and daughters reminded me that I am grateful for my family too...my entire extended family. Yes, there are a lot of good cooks in the extended family, but that's only part of the reason I am grateful for them. I am truly grateful that there are at least six or seven of them that read my blog posts on a regular basis. That's not too shabby considering there are only like 1826 people on my wife's side of the family alone. 

I am very grateful to have so many wonderful friends. I have always managed to maintain fewer, but stronger friendships over the years. Part of that is my fault for being a little on the introverted side. Part is also because I would rather have more quality time to spend with a few friends than a little time to spend with a lot of friends. Whatever the reason, I have really matured in that area. I'm already up to nearly 20 friends now in total. 

As you can see, I have a lot to be grateful for. More words would just make this letter longer and eat into my snack making time so I will bid you farewell for now. 

With cheese curds and peanut butter cups, 

Jesse Zahrt



Author's note: I am truly grateful for my loving family, amazing friends, good health and a great life in general. Also, I do in all seriousness completely love cheese and peanut butter...but not together. That would be gross. Until next time....