Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Browns are going to the Super Bowl


My youngest daughter and I went for a little bike ride this morning while my wife took our older daughter shopping. We rode past a pee wee football game in progress and my daughter commented that it must be the Vikings and the Packers practicing. You can't really blame her since one team was purple and the other green. As a kindergartner, she just doesn't comprehend that at least a few of the Vikings and Packers are bigger than 4th graders.

I was impressed that she identified two NFL teams based on the color of their jerseys though. Then again, maybe I should be surprised. We do live in Minnesota so we see an awful lot of Vikings jerseys throughout football season. We also have a lot of friends and family who live in, or have lived, in Wisconsin so there is also a lot of Packers jerseys around us. She didn't get either from me though.

I realize I may have my man-card temporarily suspended for saying this, but I couldn't care less who wins the next game. It's not because I'm boycotting the NFL for their ridiculous policies. It's because I really don't care. It's not just the NFL either. I'm just not a big fan of watching a game on tv. Get me to a game in person and I'll have a blast. 

I don't have any real team loyalty either. During my 42 years on this planet, I have lived in Texas for about two decades, Wisconsin for a decade and now Minnesota for a decade. Growing up, I loved the Cowboys. They were a great team with outstanding players (morally and by abilities) and they were a winning team. Then I moved to Wisconsin and started rooting for the Packers. They were a good team with a good bunch of guys as well. My loyalty to them ended when I moved back to Texas for another decade. 

By then, the Cowboys were in the news more because of legal troubles and arrests. I figured if the players themselves were that bad off the field, why should I care what they were doing on the field. They were just a bunch of overgrown children - kinda like a number of NFL players lately. 

When I moved to Minnesota, where I've now been for another decade, I just couldn't bring myself to root for the Vikings. I'll support them as the local team, but really don't care if they win or lose. I will admit that I'm a little bit torn whenever they play the Packers because I do still like the Packers....just not enough to be considered an real fan of theirs. 

This year I am going to try something new. I'm going to root for the underdog. I did a quick bit of research...Well, I had to because I don't keep up with football. What I learned was that the Cleveland Browns are on the bottom of pretty much everyone's list in terms of odds of winning anything. That's good enough for me. I am now a Browns fan....at least until they start winning. If that happens, I'll find a different team to cheer for. I'm going to be the ultimate bad weather fan. 

Who knows...having a non-caring fan like me might be all they need to take it all the way to the Super Bowl. Until next time....