Friday, September 23, 2016

Virtual Man in the Real World


I am about to reach the two year anniversary marking my jump into the world of Information Technology. At face value, it looks like I went from selling one type of hardware to another. Then again, that wouldn't really be true of either my old Ace Hardware days or my current position at a manged IT services provider. Both positions are more about the services provided than the actual hardware sold. 

Going into the IT world, I knew enough about technology to get myself in trouble. I guess technically that's still about the same except that now I know how to get myself into bigger trouble. Don't worry though, I'm not a technician. I work more on the customer service side of the Service department. 

One of the biggest things I learned had to do with virtualization. I'm not talking about virtual reality, virtual servers or even a virtual desktop. I am talking about virtual people. Yep. You heard me right. Virtual people now exist. If I had know about them, I might have made the jump into the IT world sooner. 

We have a "guy" called the Virtual Chief Information Officer, or vCIO for short. You wouldn't believe what this guy can do. I haven't read the complete specs on him yet, but I have a general idea of what he's made of. 

I'm pretty sure he has a rather large solid state hard drive in his head because he seems to know everything and is very dependable. I even test him on a daily basis by throwing off-the-wall questions his way and he responds with an answer every time. They're usually even correct answers. 

I'm not sure how much RAM (random access memory) he has, but it's gotta be a lot. He remembers everything...and with incredible detail. My memory is pretty much just random and not all that accessible at times. 

The graphics card in this guy has to be pretty amazing too. His penmanship alone has outstanding resolution. If I hadn't seen him physically write a note myself, I would have assumed he typed it. I'm not sure how good his webcam is these days because he is an older model. I've never seen him walk into a wall or anything, so it must still be operating properly.

He has a decent power cell as well. I've never personally seen him charging, but I think that only happens on the weekends because he seems to be running all week long as far as I can tell. 

All in all, he's everything you could ask for in a virtual person. I think the only upgrade that might be needed at this point is a better network card. It seems like we're pushing a little too much information through him lately and he could benefit from more bandwidth capabilities. The communication is there, but the information is being throttled causing network lag. 

It's one thing to have a single virtual employee, but I'm excited for a larger virtual workforce. Just think of how few password reset requests we'll get once virtual employees become commonplace. Speaking of passwords, here's a free IT tip for you: Use complex passwords and change them often. 

I'll even give you my view on why this tip is so important. It's not because a frequently changing, complex password is hard for others to figure out. The real key is that it's almost impossible for you to remember. If you can't remember your password, then it can't be socially engineered out of you. Because believe it or not, the human being is the biggest threat to network security. That's all the more reason we need more virtual employees. 

If you're still worried about forgetting your password - stop worrying. Google knows all of them and will tell you if you ask real nice. Until next time....