Thursday, October 27, 2016

Grizzly Adams Family


Being a dad is a lot like being a grizzly bear. The biggest similarity of course is how we like to eat and sleep. Although I thoroughly enjoy talking about eating and sleeping, it's not the primary focus I had for this post. I wanted to talk about how most dads are part loving, cuddly teddy bear and part ferocious beast. 

My morning started out with my youngest daughter having a minor tantrum because the the nose was falling off her Olaf hat. You wouldn't think that was a big deal, but apparently it's quite a catastrophe to a five year old. I managed to find her a different hat to wear, but only after promising I would fix her Olaf hat today so she could wear it tomorrow. 

Part of my teddy bear side involves making sure my girls are taken care of. Fortunately for my daughter, I mom taught me how to sew. I had her hat patched up in short order over my lunch break today ad she was all smiles and giggle when she got home and saw it repaired. I got a big old hug from her as I walked in the door. 


After work, my older daughter decided she wanted her hair braided. She wanted it braided before bed so that she  could let it down tomorrow for school and have extra wavy hair. Personally, I'm impressed that she correctly realized the affect it would have on her hair. I have mentioned this before, but in case you missed it, I am the go-to hair braider in our house. It started out because I can get ready in the morning in about three minutes and therefore have more time to help get the girls ready for their day. 

Initially, I just did it and hoped for the best. I had nothing to lose since nobody would criticize me for having less than mediocre hair braiding abilities. Now after braiding hair a few hundred times, I'm actually getting fairly good at it. 

Being a a big old teddy bear doesn't mean that the natural protective grizzly isn't still inside. That's the fun part of being a dad to two girls. I get to teach them how to be ferocious when needed as well. I know I won't always be around to protect my girls myself, so I take every opportunity I can to teach them to take care of themselves in that respect. 


Teaching my girls (wife included) to fight has been beneficial on a few fronts. My wife enjoys the exercise...or rather enjoys that it's one way to actually get me to exercise. (She probably doesn't appreciate that we don't spar too often though.) My older daughter got through a hitting phase by redirecting that energy to our own "sparring" sessions. We now use also boxing and wrestling as a way to burn off a little extra energy in the evenings when they're rowdy and/or tempers are running a little hot. 

I still haven't convinced my wife to start learning a few knife fighting techniques. I guess it's all a work in progress. I even have appropriately sized knives for each of us to use. According to my wife though, that's not enough of a reason to start teaching them to fight with knives. That's ok though, I'm always thinking of new reasons. 

Well, it's time for this grizzly to go start a 7-8 hour hibernation cycle. It would be nice to learn how to do one of those winter-long hibernations. Until I figure that out though, I'll have to settle for the shorter nightly sleep cycles. Until next time....