Saturday, October 29, 2016

Little hands, big help


Today is my favorite day of the year. The day I get to rake up all the leaves in my yard and then not be able to walk for two days because I wrecked my back. Thanks to the help of my two little helpers, I am not feeling any back pain this time around. 

This is one of the advantages of being a parent that kind of sneaks up on you. It seems like only a few months ago that my girls being in the yard while I'm trying to do yard work meant my progress was slowed down. Now that they're a little older, they're actually able to help...and be productive. I think they ended up raking about a third of the yard by themselves. 

I am proud of them for their hard work and excited that their added efforts seemed to make the difference between me throwing out my back or not. I suppose it is also in part to the fact that half the leaves are still on the trees so I didn't have as much to do this go around. I was forced to do it today because it's apparently the last day the local refuse drop-off is open for the season. Since I hate bagging leaves, I made sure to do what I could today. 

I was particularly impressed with my five year old's efforts today. She is really getting the hang of raking and she only "accidentally fell" into the piles of leaves 35-40 times. My older daughter was pretty good at keeping them on track and making sure they were making nice piles. I'm hoping this eagerness to help dad out with the yard work carries over to shoveling when the snow starts flying. 

I'll have to find something to make shoveling snow fun for them. Their favorite part about raking leaves is packing them down in the back of my truck. In their eyes, it ranks right up there with one of those ball pits the kids love to swim around in. 



Tomorrow will be the day I really find out if my back survived the leaves of 2016. No matter what the outcome, I had fun working with my girls today and they seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. I'm looking forward to being able to do more outdoor activities like this with them in the future. It's nice that I don't have to feel like I'm ignoring my kids while doing the required yard work on the weekends. Until next time....