Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Laziness Myth


As I was showering this morning, I was presented with a situation that has haunted (clean) human beings for ages. The bar of soap in the shower was not really a "bar" anymore, but rather a "sliver" of soap. For comparison sake, it wasn't much bigger than a Quarter. Did I get out of the shower to grab one of the 5-6 new bars of soap we have in the closet? No. I used what I had and got on with my life. Some would call that laziness, but I disagree. Laziness is a myth perpetrated by people who don't understand the mindset of others.

Because I am always looking to educate others (and find reasons to justify so-called laziness), I have offered a few examples below along with their real intent and/or value. 

Myth: Using a remnant sliver of soap rather than grabbing a fresh bar is lazy.
Reality: There are so many things wrong with this myth that I barely know where to start...but I will. First of all, we live in a society of waste already and there's no reason to compound the problem. I was perfectly capable of finishing my shower with the sliver of soap I had to work with. None of it went to waste. I also didn't compound the wastefulness by getting out of the shower, grabbing a new bar and returning to the shower which would have wasted water. 

Second, or maybe third if you count me saving water, we need to challenge ourselves on a daily basis. If we become a society of quitters, we're doomed. I took this as a personal challenge to clean myself with what I had left of that bar of soap. It turned out to be a win in my book which elevated my self esteem and prepared me to take on anything else that today might throw at me. Did I put a fresh bar in the shower when I was done? No. Some would say I forgot (or was lazy), but in reality, I am giving my wife the opportunity to experience the same challenge when she tries to shower in the morning.

Myth: Spending 10 minutes looking for the tv remote rather than getting up and changing the tv channel manually is just plain lazy.
Reality: This really comes down to having good stewardship of your possessions and not just accepting that something of great value is currently lost. Another reality is that you get more exercise looking for a lost remote than if you were to just get up once and change the channel. Who's being lazy now?? I can easily add the following to this:

Myth: Telling your kid to grab the remote from the other side of the room for you is lazy. 
Reality: As a parent, you are always teaching your kids life lessons. Teaching them to follow directions properly is vital for survival in life. Learning to accept direction from people in positions of authority will also come in handy when they enter the workforce. Some of you may think that this limits free thought and diminishes their ability to think for themselves. Although I agree to a certain degree, there are some things that must be obeyed or followed as instructed. Besides, it's not like I tell them which hand to pick up the remote with. I don't make them use the remote to change the channel. As far as free thought, I know I've gotten the response of "Why don't you use the tv remote app on your phone dad?" when I ask them to grab the remote for me. 

Myth: Choosing not to mow the lawn because it "hasn't grown that much" is lazy.
Reality: Due to my many years of working in a hardware store (that also has a garden center and large Lawn & Garden department), I know this is a myth. It's not laziness to promote healthy growth of your lawn. Grass is healthier when it's longer. Cutting grass too short is actually bad and gives the weeds a chance to take over the lawn. I should mention that not cutting your lawn while the grass is wet is another perfectly acceptable reason to not mow. It's dangerous - you could slip. The grass clumps up - making the lawn look ugly. The list goes on. Basically, if you need a reason to skip mowing, I can find a perfectly acceptable non-lazy reason to skip it. 

Myth: Not doing your homework after supper is lazy (and defiant). 
Reality: I have less experience with this myth because my daughter (the one who actually has homework anyway) loves doing homework. I know others out there do have this problem, so I will destroy this myth for you. Families today never seem to get enough quality time together. You get home from work, eat supper, do homework, take baths or showers and head to bed. Choosing to skip homework is a legitimate choice to have more valuable family time. It's not laziness - it's love for your family. 

I could go on and on with further myths about laziness, but I will leave you with those for today. If you're thinking I'm stopping here because I'm lazy, you would be wrong. I know that I am reaching the limit where you're starting to glaze over what you're reading and probably wouldn't really process any further examples. I am ending my list here because I care about you, my readers, and not because I'm lazy. (The rest of my family also just walked in so I need to get off the computer and enjoy some family time now.) 

Take these myths about laziness to heart. Take a look at your own life and things some less understanding people might view as laziness. It only takes a moment or two to find the real reason for why you're choosing not to do something. It's not laziness because we all know now that laziness is a myth. Until next time....