Sunday, November 6, 2016

Waste of time


I am fairly good at procrastination and this is mostly because I am extremely good at wasting time. Though there are many benefits to procrastination and wasting time, there is one thing I do not like about it: I don't like other people wasting my time....That's my responsibility. 

Since it's been about a year and a half since I complained about what a huge waste of time our whole Daylight Savings Time thing is, I thought  I would whine about it today. Besides, I have some time to waste while my girls are taking an afternoon rest. 

If you haven't read my last post on our clock re-setting nonsense, you can check it out HERE.  Or if you (are really weird and actually) like having to change your clocks twice a year, you may prefer to just read my post on procrastination located HERE. Coincidentally, they were both written in March of 2015. I must have really been irritated about it back then??

Back to this year.... Last night was the lesser of two evils when it comes to having to change our clocks. I say this because I can almost get behind the idea of turning our clocks back every so often to gain an extra hour of sleep. I do not see any reason whatsoever that would make moving the clocks forward and losing an hour of sleep a good thing. Since becoming a parent, I have learned that both are equally pointless and problematic. 

Since we are in the "gain-an-hour-of-sleep" clock change today, you would think that would be good. Those of you with kids know that's not true though. The kids still wake up at the same time regardless of what the clock says. That means the grownups' extra hour of sleep is non-existent. It also means the evening craziness hour became 60 minutes longer because the kids will be over-tired and cranky and hour earlier than usual. 

My minimal suggestion: If there's ever a chance of making this "clocks back an hour" schedule work, move it to a Monday morning instead of Sunday morning. Adults would prefer to put off Monday morning work and extra hour and kids would stay in bed that extra hour....because we all know they have to be dragged out of bed on a school day. 

As for the "lose-an-hour-of-sleep" clock changes, just stop it. There's no reason to put anyone through that. We're not gaining anything, We don't care if the sun is up or not. It's not like businesses shut down on an overcast day because there isn't enough sun in the sky. You're also either a morning person or an evening person. I don't think it's going to matter what stage the sun is in the sky. 

My preferred suggestion: Just get rid of the whole clock changing process all together. It's going to take me a few days to readjust my internal body clock. It will be months before I find all the clocks in the house that need to be changed to the new time. As a matter of fact, there is probably at least one clock in the house I won't have to change because it never got changed last Spring. 

Let me know what you think. I doubt that I am alone on seeing Daylight Savings as a huge waste of time. Maybe somebody else sees a benefit?? Changing when you wake up just means the daylight hours shift back and forth in your day. Who cares? Not me. One of my favorite memes on the topic was a picture of a Native American and his supposed reaction to being told the reason behind Daylight Savings Time. He supposedly said, "Only the government would believe you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it on the bottom, and have a longer blanket." Fact or fiction - I don't care. It's a clear explanation of how ridiculous the whole thing is. Until next time....